Boat Accidents in New York Making Headlines this Summer
Boating is a popular pastime for many New York residents. Unfortunately, as recent headlines demonstrate, deadly accidents on the water are all too common. The New York boat accident lawyers at The Sanders Firm leverage decades of experience in representing victims of all types of watercraft accidents in New York waters, including the Long Island Sound. We do everything in our power to ensure that the rights of victims are protected and that they and their families receive fair compensation for their injuries, property damage and other losses.
Recent boating accidents in New York
This summer has seen some tragic boating accidents off the New York shores. In July, a Long Island man was critically injured when his jet ski crashed into a boat. According to CBS New York, Roldando Moreno was riding his jet ski in the Great South Bay when he jumped in the wake of the boat before crashing into it. After being brought to shore by another boater, Moreno was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition. The crash is currently under investigation.
Another boating accident that occurred in early August left one teenager dead and another injured. The accident took place near the Greenwich Yacht Club on Long Island Sound, where it is not uncommon for teens to bring out their boats and tubes for a day of fun. This particular day took a heartbreaking turn when a group of four teen girls ran into unexpected trouble. Two of the teens were driving the boat and the other two were riding in tubes behind.
According to the New York Times, the riders fell off the tubes into the water and the boat circled back around to pick them up. However, in the process of turning the boat, the propeller hit the girls in the water, killing one and injuring the other. The injured girl was taken to Stamford Hospital for surgery and is reportedly doing well. The accident shook a community that centers many of its activities on boating and water play.
A Fourth of July accident in Florida also left a Long Island man dead. The New York Daily News reported on the accident, in which two boats collided off the shores of south Florida. Jason Soleimani, 23, was killed along with three others. Soleimani and his girlfriend were visiting family in Florida when the accident occurred.
According to Time Warner Cable News, New York ranks third in the nation for boating accidents. Officials in the state are calling on boaters to exercise appropriate caution when on the water by staying educated on potential dangers.
Boaters are encouraged to carry the proper equipment on their crafts, including life jackets for everyone onboard and helmets for activities like rafting and kayaking. Boaters are also advised to research hazard areas in the locations where they will be boating so they are prepared for any potential dangers that might arise.
Hiring New York boating accident lawyers
If you are injured in a boating accident in New York, our team of experienced NY & Long Island personal injury attorneys can help. At the Sander Firm, we offer complimentary case evaluations and are willing to answer all of your questions about your case. We can help you pursue compensation for pain and suffering, lost income and other losses.
To discuss your eligibility for filing a personal injury lawsuit in NY, call us toll-free today at 1.800.FAIR.PLAY.
- CBS New York, Long Island Jet Ski Accident Leaves Man Critically Injured, http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/07/21/long-island-jet-ski-accident-leaves-man-critically-injured/
- New York Times, Boating with Friends, Girl, 16, Dies in Accident on Long Island Sound, http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/07/nyregion/boating-with-friends-girl-16-dies-in-accident-on-long-island-sound.html?_r=0
- New York Daily News, One Girl Dead, Second Injured in Tubing Accident near Greenwich Yachting Club, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/girl-dead-injured-conn-tubing-accident-report-article-1.1894371#jkVO4mq7Tmq1FOIQ.97
- New York Daily News, Long Island Man among Four Killed in Florida Fourth of July Boat Accident, http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-man-4-killed-july-4-boat-accident-south-florida-article-1.1862096#aWuVtkbfXr5zOqZP.97
- Time Warner Cable News, New York Ranks High among Boating Accidents, Officials Encourage Safety, http://binghamton.twcnews.com/content/news/753078/new-york-ranks-high-among-boating-accidents--officials-encourage-safety/