200 Guests Evacuated for Carbon Monoxide Leak at Dunmore Hotel
The Best Western Plus Hotel in Dunmore made headlines last week when a faulty pool heater caused a major carbon monoxide leak that sent dozens to the hospital. Officials report that more than 200 people were promptly evacuated from the Lackawanna County hotel, while inspectors looked floor-by-floor for the source of the leak. When surveying the premises, officials found that the hotel lacked functioning carbon monoxide detectors and also discovered several other safety violations, including faulty electrical wiring.
“The building currently is going to be shut down to all occupancies for unsafe equipment and off limits to all occupancies until further notice,” said Dunmore borough manager, Vito Ruggiero. Firefighters and first responders from Dunmore, Scranton and Dickson City responded to the call.
Carbon monoxide leak in Dunmore hotel affects hundreds
At least twenty four people were rushed to Geisinger Community Medical Center to be examined and treated for possible carbon monoxide exposure, and one of those patients was later moved to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he remained overnight.
Since carbon monoxide is tasteless, odorless and without color, it is often hard to detect large amounts until symptoms of poisoning set in. If not treated promptly, victims can suffer long-term cardiac complications, permanent brain damage and death.
Typical symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning often include:
- Tight feeling in the chest
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Loss of consciousness
With each breath of carbon monoxide that is inhaled, the body is increasingly starved of oxygen, causing permanent tissue damage to vital organs. This type of toxic exposure is more likely to affect babies, the elderly and young children.
NY toxic exposure lawyers help determine liability
At The Sanders Firm, our New York premises liability lawyers represent clients in carbon monoxide poisoning cases stemming from the following:
- Gas leaks
- Defective or improperly installed furnaces
- Faulty stoves, water heater or other gas appliances
- Defective propane heaters
- Poorly maintained heaters
If you or someone you love has suffered the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning or exposure in New York, our highly-credentialed legal team can help you establish liability. Potential defendants in lawsuits arising from carbon monoxide poisoning can include hotel owners and operators, as well as landlords. In addition, the manufacturers of carbon monoxide detectors made with faulty components may also be held accountable for serious personal injury or wrongful death.
Taking legal action to recover compensation
The statute of limitations for filing a New York carbon monoxide poisoning lawsuit is usually within two years of incident; therefore it’s important to start your claim as soon as possible. Monetary damages recovered by your attorney will account for all related hospital and medical expenses, lost wages, rehabilitation, plus any physical and emotional suffering incurred. Our team of NY toxic exposure lawyers is well-versed in carbon monoxide litigation, and can prove if your injuries were caused by poor installation, insufficient ventilation, or improper maintenance.
To arrange a free, no-obligation case review with one of our personal injury lawyers, we invite you to call 1-800-FAIR-PLAY. There is no obligation for attorney fees unless we win or settle your case.
- PA Home Page, Dunmore Hotel Remains Closed After Carbon Monoxide Leak http://www.pahomepage.com/story/d/story/dunmore-hotel-remains-closed-after-carbon-monoxide/26054/18R1VPjio0qtjrfZH-39cg
- Mayo Clinic, Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/carbon-monoxide/basics/symptoms/con-20025444
- The Times Tribune, CO leak closes Dunmore hotel after evacuation http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/co-leak-closes-dunmore-hotel-after-evacuation-1.1741081