Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Were you harmed in a commercial vehicle crash in New York or Long Island? Car accident lawyers at The Sanders Firm protect your legal rights.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a commercial vehicle, including semi trucks, tractor trailers, or MTA buses, we urge you to contact a New York car accident lawyer today for a free consultation to determine your eligibility for monetary compensation. Victims of motor vehicle accidents in New York have legal rights—you do not have to bear the financial and emotional burden of your accident alone.
While the chance of major injuries is significant in any car accident, collisions that involve commercial vehicles carry an even greater risk of serious harm or death. In addition to being more powerful and oversized than average vehicles on the road, commercial vehicles may also be hauling hazardous or combustible materials, which can add to the inherent dangers. Statistics show that commercial vehicle accidents, including those with big rigs, semi trucks, tractor trailers and buses, account for a large percentage of all traffic accidents in the United States each year.
The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that in 2011, 112,000 people were seriously harmed in large truck and bus crashes and more than 4,000 were killed. Unfortunately, these figures have been rising steadily since 2009, further emphasizing the dangerous nature of commercial vehicle crashes, which often leave surviving victims to deal with medical expenses, lost wages, property damage to their passenger vehicle, and emotional trauma.
Risks for commercial vehicles accidents in NY
A commercial vehicle is defined as any type of vehicle used to haul cargo or other commercial goods, or one that is utilized for business activities, such as a tour bus, city bus, taxi cab or van. Big trucks (semis and tractor trailers) make up a large portion of all commercial vehicles, and are used for delivering large cargos, as well as utility and maintenance purposes.
The size and weight (10,000 – 100,000 pounds) of commercial vehicles, in addition to the kinds of freight they transport, is a source of concern in any collision. When an accident involves a small passenger vehicle, the results are often disastrous. While commercial vehicles represent a small fraction of vehicles on the road, they are responsible for a disproportionate number of fatalities owing to their sheer size.
Drivers, passengers, or pedestrians involved in commercial vehicle accidents may find it challenging to establish liability or recover damages without the guidance of knowledgeable car accident lawyers in New York. The Sanders Firm has years of experience successfully litigating such claims and helping victims obtain maximum compensation for their economic and non-economic losses.
Types of commercial vehicle accidents
Our lawyers have filed personal injury lawsuits on behalf of New Yorkers involved in various kinds of commercial vehicle accidents, including:
- Truck Accidents -The New York DMV reports that 1 in 3 large truck accidents result in death or incapacitating personal injury. Common causes cited for truck accidents are driver sleep deprivation, mechanical failure, driver intoxication, poor visibility and unsafe passing.
- Tractor Trailer and Semi Accidents – Trucking companies may be held accountable if their drivers are not certified and adequately trained, well rested, and driving well-maintained vehicles. To determine liability an attorney will analyze trucking logbooks, computer data, witness testimonies, and the location of the collision.
- Bus Accidents – Each year, multi-million dollar settlements and jury verdicts are awarded to victims of bus accidents who sustained serious bodily harm due to no fault of their own. Human errors by drivers of city buses, charter buses, school and tour buses are one of the top reasons for deadly accidents.
- Taxi Accidents – Of all five New York boroughs, Manhattan suffers the highest rate of taxicab accidents, which account for 27 percent of all crashes and 30 percent of injuries. Though the state’s No Fault insurance laws offer some protection (up to $50,000), damages such as pain and suffering, emotional distress and loss of enjoyment of life are not covered by these policies, meaning victims must pursue compensation by filing a car accident lawsuit.
- MTA Bus Accidents – The Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s services offer convenient urban transport for millions of New Yorkers. However, MTA bus drivers who are distracted, follow too closely, are fatigued, improperly trained, or are driving vehicles that are poorly maintained have been to blame for dozens of traffic accidents. In some cases, the New York City transit authority may be held legally accountable in a personal injury claim.
- Railroad Crossing Accidents – Catastrophic injury or death are the disastrous consequences of most railroad crossing accidents in New York. An in-depth review of the circumstances may reveal that the railroad company failed to ensure or maintain standard safety measures near the tracks, or employ adequately trained personnel. Witness testimony, photographic evidence and data gleaned from the locomotive’s “black box” are all utilized to help build a strong case, if negligence was the contributing factor.
Protect your legal rights
When pursuing a personal injury claim following a commercial vehicle accident in New York, keep in mind that you will – in all probability – be facing multiple parties, along with their deep-pocketed insurance companies and legal counsel. As an injured victim who may feel overwhelmed by mounting medical bills and the recovery process, you may be tempted to settle for less than what you really deserve. That is why it’s crucial to have reputable car accident lawyers on your side, attorneys with a proven track record of going up against insurance companies and winning.
For more than 45 years, The Sanders Firm has been proudly representing residents in all New York City boroughs, including Staten Island, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and also Long Island. If you have suffered injuries or lost a loved one in a commercial vehicle accident and you need expert legal counsel, please call our offices today for a free consultation. Call 1.800.FAIR.PLAY.