Workers’ Compensation Lawsuits in New York
The Sanders Firm is dedicated to helping injured New Yorkers secure the workers’ compensation benefits to which they are rightfully entitled. Our attorneys have assisted hundreds of clients with workers’ comp claims over the past 46 years.
We are highly credentialed NY personal injury lawyers who advocate for the rights of those who’ve suffered serious workplace injuries, whether they occurred on a construction site or other place of employment.
Workers compensation in NY
Our city’s construction workers put their lives on the line every day, working on dangerous sites at high elevations with heavy machinery and equipment. Every year, dozens of men and women suffer life-threatening injuries during construction accidents, placing tremendous financial and emotional strain on their families. All too often, those accidents could have been prevented had contractors, subcontractors, and owners taken appropriate measures to ensure the work site was reasonably safe.
To optimize your chances of obtaining the benefits you are entitled, it’s important to consult with our New York construction accident attorneys during a confidential case evaluation. If workers’ compensation benefits are simply not enough to cover your accident-related expenses, we will outline your options for seeking additional compensation through a personal injury lawsuit in New York.
Our legal team can assist workers who have been injured by:
- Scaffolding accidents
- Falling from elevated heights
- Forklift injuries
- Asbestos exposure
- Machinery accidents
- Falling objects
- Crane accidents
- Machinery accidents
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Toxic exposure
- Industrial explosions
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Site debris accidents
New York Workers’ comp overview
Nearly every employee in New York is entitled to workers’ compensation benefits — an insurance plan that compensates injured workers no matter who was at fault — the employer, the worker or another third party. If a worker is harmed, disabled or sickened on the job or in relation to work, he or she must file a claim with the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) in New York.
In an ideal world, the employer would then pay for appropriate wage replacement, medical expense coverage and, if necessary, rehabilitation costs. However, unscrupulous insurers and employers may try and cut costs by claiming that the workplace injuries in question happened outside the scope of employment, or undermine the severity of the injuries. That is why you need the support and legal representation of skilled attorneys who are experienced in all workers’ comp litigation issues, including cases involving union members and city employees. For nearly five decades, hard-working New Yorkers have been relying on The Sanders Firm to protect their legal rights while maximizing the value of their claims.
State law dictates that NY workers’ comp benefits apply to:
- Full and part-time employees, borrowed and leased employees, family members and volunteers employed by for-profit business.
- Public school teachers and aides (exclusive of those hired by the city), including those in NYC
- Employees of the State of New York, including various types of volunteer workers
- Domestic employees such as full-time baby sitters or companions and live-in maids who work 40 hours a week for the same employer
- Employees of municipalities engaged in work defined as “hazardous”
- Farm laborers whose employer paid at least $1,200 for labor during the previous calendar year
- Officers of 1-2 person corporations if there are other individuals in employment
- Most nonprofit organization employees
Liability and workers’ compensation
Regardless of where you are in the worker’s compensation claim process— whether you recently sustained a herniated disc while on the job, or you’ve been diagnosed with cancer from toxic chemical exposure and are facing a denied claim. Speak to our New York workers compensation attorneys to learn more about your options for financial recovery.
Those who have been injured in construction accidents may be entitled to relief from property owners, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers and machinery operators. If your workers’ compensation benefits do not adequately cover your needs, The Sanders Firm is dedicated to helping you fully recover the costs of your injury or wrongful death claim.
Our firm accepts new cases arising from on-the-job injuries such as:
- Asbestos exposure and mesothelioma
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Vision or hearing loss/impairment
- Serious burns
- Back injuries or spinal cord trauma
- Tendonitis or other injury caused by repetitive motion
- Broken bones, torn ligaments and rotator cuffs
- Occupational diseases
Workers’ compensation lawyers in New York
Through the years, our firm has built a vast network of engineering experts, medical experts, and other consultants who, along with our talented legal team, work diligently to bring some measure of justice to workers who have sustained serious injuries on the job. We want to make sure that you are fully compensated for your injuries, and are prepared to take liable parties to court if necessary.
One of our attorneys will conduct a no-charge assessment of your workplace injury and advise you on your best course of action. Monetary damages recovered in a New York personal injury lawsuit will account for losses associated with medical expenses, lost income, permanent disability, emotional anguish, in addition to pain and suffering.
Protect your legal rights
Our NY workers’ compensation attorneys are dedicated to helping injured victims get the compensation and medical benefits they deserve, so they can focus on recovery and support their families in the process. And since our personal injury firm takes all cases on a contingency basis, there are no legal fees unless we procure compensation on your behalf.
In the event that you or a loved one has sustained injuries as a result of a workplace accident in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island or Long Island, we encourage you to arrange a free legal consultation. Contact us toll-free: 1.800 FAIR PLAY (800.324.7752).
- New York Worker’s Compensation Board, Workers' Compensation http://www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/Workers/Workers.jsp
- New York City Bar, A GUIDE TO WORKERS’ COMPENSATION IN NEW YORK http://www2.nycbar.org/Publications/WorksCompensation.htm
- WorkersCompensation.com, New York Workers' Compensation http://www.workerscompensation.com/new_york.php?state=NY