Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disorder. Since its introduction to the market, it has become one of the top-selling drugs in America — with over $6 billion in sales each year. The lack of perceived side effects led to lax attitudes about taking higher doses of Nexium and using the drug for extended periods of time.
Since 2011, a number of troubling reports have emerged, suggesting connections between Nexium use and increased risk of kidney failure, bone fractures, heart attacks and dementia.
Lawsuits have been filed against drugmaker AstraZeneca following recent “red flag” reports published in well-respected, peer-reviewed journals. The Sanders Firm has been investigating claims that Nexium manufacturer AstraZeneca was negligent in failing to provide proper warnings to patients and their doctors about known risks associated with their product.
Our national product liability attorneys are currently offering free case reviews to those who need legal advice about their rights to compensation.
Nexium long term side effects
The most common claims against Nexium manufacturer AstraZeneca are focused on:
- Kidney injury and failure: Patients taking Proton Pump Inhibitors (including Nexium) had 28% increased risk of chronic kidney disease and a 96% increased risk of developing kidney failure compared to patients taking Histamine H2 Receptor Blockers, according to data from nearly 200,000 patients in the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs database. The analysis was done by St. Louis researchers from Washington University and the Clinical Epidemiology Center, then published in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.
- Bone fractures: A 2011 analysis of 11 studies found a 29 percent increased risk of fractures among Proton Pump Inhibitor users. Long-term users were 30 percent more likely to get fractures and those taking high doses were 53 percent more likely to sustain hip fractures, in particular. The results were published in the May-June issue of The Annals of Family Medicine.
- Heart attack: Houston Methodist and Stanford University scientists looked at electronic records from 2.9 million patients and noted a 15 to 20 percent increased risk of heart attack among users of Proton Pump Inhibitors like Prilosec, Nexium and Prevacid, compared to users of H2 Blockers like Zantac, Tagamet, and Pepcid.
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s: Proton Pump Inhibitors were associated with a 33 percent increase in dementia and a 44 percent increase in Alzheimer’s disease, according to a German study of 73,679 insurance company patients published in JAMA Nephrology on February 15. Animal research suggested the avoidance of PPI drugs could prevent these mental side effects.
The FDA has warned that Nexium users may be at increased risk of C. diff infections and pneumonia as well.
Nexium class action lawsuit
The long-term treatment of a devastating medical condition like kidney failure can cost patients and their caregivers thousands of dollars – not to mention lost income and intangible costs like the loss of enjoyment in life. Depending on the circumstances, an individual may have grounds to file a lawsuit to recover substantial damages.
Types of Nexium lawsuits
Plaintiffs can be involved in several types of Nexium lawsuits, including:
- Individual lawsuit: Plaintiffs file a product liability claim, either in state or federal court in the hopes of obtaining a favorable verdict or settlement offer.
- Class action: In a class action, plaintiffs are grouped together based on the type of injury sustained against a common defendant. Thousands of cases can be settled all at once. Whatever outcome is decided is binding to all plaintiffs, who will split any court award or settlement rendered.
- Mass torts: Mass tort lawsuits are lumped together based on a common defendant, although the exact nature of the injuries can vary. Some mass torts are sectioned off into MDLs or class actions. One attorney or firm generally handles many cases, saving time and money on discovery proceedings. Mass torts allow for greater variability in the damages awarded to plaintiffs.
- Multidistrict litigation: Multidistrict litigation brings together similar federal cases for streamlined pretrial proceedings before one judge like in a class action suit, but allows each claimant to reserve the right to an individual trial and verdict.
Nexium lawsuit allegations
Common allegations in Nexium claims:
- Design defects: Failure to conduct proper research and negligence in failing to produce a safe product.
- Marketing defects: Failure to warn of known risks and misleading claims as to product superiority or efficacy.
In California, 55 plaintiffs (MDL 2404) claimed they suffered bone fractures and problems elated to Nexium use. Central California District Judge Dale S. Fischer ruled that the causation was “not definitive” and found the expert opinion unreliable. While the MDL was closed in 2014, half of the individuals are still in the process of having their cases heard individually.
Nexium lawsuit settlement
As more research surfaces, particularly related to kidney failure and Proton Pump Inhibitor use, AstraZeneca may be faced with growing numbers of claims that may prove costly to litigate on an individual basis. Pharmaceutical manufacturers may opt to settle large numbers of claims out-of-court in order to save time and money.
Nexium kidney failure lawsuit
Plaintiffs may receive compensation for Nexium injuries to account for:
- Past, present & future medical bills
- The cost of ongoing therapies and surgical procedures
- Loss of earning capacity and future income potential
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship and/or consortium
- Diminished quality of life
- Wrongful death
If you or someone you love has suffered serious Nexium side effects, help is available. The Sanders Firm will investigate your claim to determine your grounds for seeking compensation. We work on a contingency basis, meaning that you only pay if we take on your case – and win!
Call (516) 741-5252 to have your records assessed by an experienced personal injury attorney.
Nexium kidney failure resources
- CNN – Popular medications linked to higher risk of kidney failure http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/14/health/proton-pump-inhibitors-kidney-failure/
- Post-Gazette – Studies warn of side effects from long-term use of heartburn medications http://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2016/03/22/Studies-are-documenting-various-side-effects-from-proton-pump-inhiboris-used-to-prevent-GERD/stories/201603010157
- UPI – Heartburn medications associated with higher dementia risk http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/02/15/Heartburn-medications-associated-with-higher-dementia-risk/8821455567164/
- CBS News – Some common heartburn drugs may increase heart attack risk http://www.cbsnews.com/news/common-heartburn-drugs-may-increase-heart-attack-risk/
- JAMA Nephrology – Association of Proton Pump Inhibitors With Risk of Dementia http://archneur.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2487379
- LexisNexis – Nexium MDL Closed https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsroom/litigation/b/litigation-blog/archive/2014/10/10/entire-nexium-mdl-closed-after-expert-excluded-defense-awarded-costs.aspx?Redirected=true#sthash.pojSlbC3.dpuf