Risperdal and Male Breast Growth
At The Sanders Firm, our product liability attorneys represent clients who have been harmed by the drug Risperdal (risperidone), an antipsychotic medication approved for the treatment of schizophrenia by the FDA in 1993, and for bipolar disorder in 2003. Hundreds of Risperdal lawsuits have been filed, including many contending that the drug caused gynecomastia (male breast growth), one of many Risperdal side effects about which patients encouraged to take the drug received inadequate warning. A number of those lawsuits concern boys who began taking the drug as adolescents or children at a time when the drug was not approved for these age groups.
If you believe that you or your son may have suffered the consequences of questionable marketing practices by drug companies that produced this medication, including gynecomastia or other side effects, the personal injury lawyers at The Sanders Firm are ready to stand behind you. We have over 45 years of experience challenging drug companies in court and securing millions of dollars in settlements and jury awards for our clients. We can get you the compensation you deserve, and help make the drug makers pay for their negligence. Call us today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. We charge no attorneys fees unless we win your case or negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
Risperdal and gynecomastia (male breast growth)
Gynecomastia is the growth of male breast tissue; physically, it involves the swelling, pain, and tenderness of the breasts, as well as a discharge from the nipples (galactorrhea). Risperdal causes gynecomastia and galactorrhea in some men because in the process of regulating the effects of dopamine, the drug also causes the body to relax its regulation of prolactin, the protein that causes the enlargement of breasts and secretion of milk (lactation). Young boys and adolescents are at greater risk for this Risperdal side effect because of their more volatile hormone levels.
Side effects of Risperdal and legal recourse
Coping with gynacomastia involves both physical and psychological treatment. The enlarged breasts often need to be treated surgically, either through breast reduction surgery, liposuction, or mastectomy. Equally troubling are the problems that adolescents in particular have with self-esteem, emotional well-being, mental health, and ability to function well within their peer group. They are subject to teasing and rejection from fellow adolescents, can feel isolated and nervous, and struggle with anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts. It is vital that those experiencing the psychological effects from gynecomastia find some form of counseling to work through their struggles with the condition.
If you or a family member have struggled through the physical and psychological toll that gynecomastia or other side effects of Risperdal have caused, and have had to seek treatment because of it, contact The Sanders Firm to discuss your legal options. Male breast growth may not be just an “unfortunate side effect” from Risperdal that you have to endure.
Consider these important points about Risperdal:
- Risperdal was only approved for treatment of irritability associated with autism in children and adolescents in October of 2006, and for children with schizophrenia, ages 13-17, and children with bipolar disorder, ages 10-17, in August of 2007. If you or your child were prescribed Risperdal prior to 2006 (or prior to 2007 for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder), the company is liable for improperly marketing the drug.
- If you were not properly wanted of the side effects of the drug, including male breast growth, the company is also liable.
If you can prove that you have gynecomastia as a result of the improper prescription of Risperdal, you may have a legal case. At The Sanders Firm, our medical and legal experts will assemble and review medical records, process paperwork, and select expert witnesses in the medical field. We will do everything in our power to get you maximum compensation for medical bills (for surgical treatment and for any psychological counseling that you may require), pain and suffering, emotional distress, and punitive damages.
Litigation against Johnson & Johnson to date
Hundreds of patients have filed lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson over Risperdal side effects, including at least 140 cases involving gynecomastia.
The first Risperdal lawsuit, which went to trial in September 2012, ended after only one day when the 21-year-old plaintiff, who said he began taking the drug at only nine years of age and was psychologically traumatized by his breast growth, was offered a settlement of an undisclosed amount. Three more lawsuits – “bellwether” cases in a mass tort taking place in the Philadelphia Common Pleas Court – also concluded with settlements. Most recently, in November of 2013, Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay over $2.2 billion (the third largest pharmaceutical settlement in U.S. history) in fines for the improper marketing of Risperdal.
A Risperdal attorney at The Sanders Firm can help
If you believe that you have been victimized by Johnson & Johnson’s actions in connection to Risperdal, contact The Sanders Firm at 1-800-FAIR-PLAY. We have the experience and resources to represent you effectively and aggressively in order to get you maximum compensation. A consultation with one of our attorneys is free and you will not be billed for legal fees if we do not win a jury award or negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
- Bloomberg - J&J Hid Risks Risperdal Makes Boys’ Breasts Grow: Lawyer, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-24/j-j-hid-risks-risperdal-makes-boys-breasts-grow-lawyer.html
- NY Times, J.&J. to Pay $2.2 Billion in Risperdal Settlement, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/business/johnson-johnson-to-settle-risperdal-improper-marketing-case.html
- Forbes, J&J Sees Male Breasts And Quickly Settles Risperdal Suit, http://www.forbes.com/sites/edsilverman/2012/09/11/jj-sees-male-breasts-and-quickly-settles-risperdal-suit/
- Bloomberg, Johnson & Johnson Agrees to Settle Five Rispersal Suits, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-04/johnson-johnson-agrees-to-settle-five-rispersal-suits.html
- Bloomberg, J&J Settles Risperdal Lawsuit on Opening Day of Trial, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-10/j-j-settles-risperdal-lawsuit-on-opening-day-of-trial.html
- PharmaLive, Will Male Breasts Derail A J&J Settlement Over Risperdal Marketing? http://www.pharmalive.com/will-male-breasts-derail-a-jj-settlement-over-risperdal-marketing
- WSJ Health Blog, Risperdal Can Have Troubling Side Effects in Boys, http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/11/25/risperdal-can-have-troubling-side-effects-in-boys/
- Mayo Clinic, Gynecomastia (enlarged breasts in men), http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gynecomastia/DS00850
- FDA, Label for Risperdal, http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/020272s056,020588s044,021346s033,021444s03lbl.pdf