New York Medical Malpractice Lawyer
The Sanders Firm legal team of medical malpractice lawyers represent victims in New York City, New York State and Long Island. If you have been a victim of medical negligence, we can help you understand your legal rights and procure financial compensation for your injuries.
It is without question one of your worst nightmares: You or a loved one are placed into the care of a physician or team of medical professionals for what will hopefully be a speedy and uneventful recovery from a troubling condition. Perhaps it’s even a joyful event—like the birth of a child that the parents have eagerly anticipated. But something goes terribly wrong, and the most devastating blow is that it may have been caused by the very individuals who you entrusted with your life.
Our medical malpractice attorneys represent clients in cases of:
- Birth Injury
- Doctor Negligence
- Hospital Infections
- Hospital Negligence
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Surgical Error
- Pharmacy Errors
The health care providers who you trusted to be competent have, through negligence, carelessness, misdiagnosis, or misjudgment, caused suffering and even death to your loved one or catastrophic injury to yourself. Where do you turn at this overwhelming juncture? What are your options?
The Sanders Firm—compassion, wisdom and integrity
For forty six years, New York medical malpractice lawyers at The Sanders Firm have dedicated themselves to guiding their clients through this unimaginable time. Our trial attorneys routinely undertake some of the most complex cases in the NY area. We will support you through every step of the legal process and pursue your case with expertise based on more than four decades of experience.
We understand your emotional turmoil and provide the skill, integrity and wisdom to fully assess your legal options and rights.
Complexity of New York medical malpractice lawsuits
In medical malpractice cases, you are entitled to fair compensation that can help cover the costs you sustained and will continue to incur due to your injury. However, in New York State, the burden of proof to be awarded compensation is on the patient. Winning a medical malpractice case in NY is a complex and daunting task– more than 50% of malpractice suits are lost by the patient– and requires a highly experienced legal team.
The Sanders Firm boasts a long track record of negotiating outstanding settlements and winning jury awards for our clients when a lesser firm may have come up short. In just the last five years, we have successfully secured over $100 million dollars in compensation for our clients.
You should be aware that there is a two and a half year statute of limitations to file a medical malpractice claim in New York. Your suit must be filed within 30 months of either the malpractice incident or the last day of continuous care provided by the person or place you are suing.
Grounds for filing a medical malpractice claim
Each year there are 1.3 million cases of medical malpractice. The sad truth is that most of these cases could have been avoided with competent medical care. The following are some examples of medical malpractice for which The Sanders Firm is ready to help you demand rightful compensation:
- Birth injuries
- Failure to diagnose a medical condition
- Doctor negligence
- Hospital malpractice
- Delayed diagnosis
- Anesthesia error
- Surgical negligence
- Hospital negligence
- Nursing home abuse
- Anesthesia error
- Surgical errors
- Improper consent before surgery or other medical procedure
- Prescription error
Misdiagnosis lawsuits (an astonishing 20% of all fatal illnesses were misdiagnosed initially) include:
- Misdiagnosis of cancer
- Misdiagnosis of infectious disease
- Misdiagnosis of heart attack and stroke
- Failure to diagnose meningitis
- Delayed treatment of kidney or liver disease
Damages awarded in malpractice cases
A medical malpractice lawsuit in New York can demand a wide range of compensatory damages. These may include: continued medical and psychological care and treatment, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of income and earning power, partial or permanent disability, embarrassment and humiliation, emotional distress, and costs of medical, therapeutic, and rehabilitative services, equipment, and appliances.
Recent NY awards for malpractice injuries
The following are some notable jury verdicts procured by New York medical malpractice lawyers on behalf of their clients:
- $130 million was awarded to a Long Island family whose 10-year old daughter, now with cerebral palsy, suffered oxygen deprivation at birth due to hospital negligence and can no longer take care of herself. The hospital offered the family an $8 million settlement which the family rejected. A jury ultimately awarded the family the larger amount.
- $26 million was awarded to the family of a Brooklyn, NY boy who suffered brain damage resulting from birth injury malpractice.
- The widow and children of an army vet were awarded $5.9 million in a lawsuit against the Manhattan VA Hospital for failing to properly diagnose the veteran’s gastric leak incurred while undergoing bypass surgery. The judge ruled that the hospital’s failure to monitor the individual properly after surgery was “inexplicable and inexcusable”.
New York medical malpractice attorneys demand your rightful compensation
The Sanders Firm understands that a malpractice injury places a huge emotional and financial toll on the individual or family member who is victimized. The costs for maintaining the care of an injured party can be astronomical, without taking into account the diminished quality of life for all involved. Our veteran attorneys fight for your rights to secure fair and equitable monetary damages in cases involving hospital negligence and medical mistakes.
Serving residents of Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan and Long Island, our NY medical malpractice lawyers are ready to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
To set up your free, no-obligation consultation, please call 1-800-FAIR-PLAY to discuss your case.
- Beckers Hospital Review, 29 Statistics on Medical Malpractice Payouts and Lawsuits http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/legal-regulatory-issues/29-statistics-on-medical-malpractice-payouts-and-lawsuits.html
- Daily News, Hospitals' malpractice costs drop by $3 million from last year, http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hosps-131m-errors-malpractice-costs-drop-article-1.1456979#ixzz2q2OFRY6i