THE PHARMACIST GENERAL RULES ARE:
- A PHARMACIST RESPECTS THE COVENANTAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE PATIENT AND PHARMACIST.
- A PHARMACIST PROMOTES THE GOOD OF EVERY PATIENT IN A CARING, COMPASSIONATE, AND CONFIDENTIAL MANNER.
- A PHARMACIST RESPECTS THE AUTONOMY AND DIGNITY OF EACH PATIENT.
- A PHARMACIST ACTS WITH HONESTY AND INTEGRITY IN PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIPS.
- A PHARMACIST MAINTAINS PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE.
- A PHARMACIST RESPECTS THE VALUES AND ABILITIES OF COLLEAGUES AND OTHER HEALTH PROFESSIONALS.
- A PHARMACIST SERVES INDIVIDUAL, COMMUNITY, AND SOCIETAL NEEDS.
- A PHARMACIST SEEKS JUSTICE IN THE DISTRIBUTION OF HEALTH RESOURCES.
WHY WE FILED THIS CLAIM:
We filed a claim against a local pharmacist who was supposed to dispense four medications to our client.
Four medications were in fact dispensed. Twenty-three days later, the patient learned for the first time that an anti-seizure medication was incorrectly dispensed. Instead of receiving a bottle filled with anti-seizure medication, she had instead received an antibiotic.
It is our claim that the pharmacist failed to do his/her job. The pharmacists violated several of the Code of Ethics rules above. In fact, the pharmacist admitted to our client that they failed to do their job correctly.
Unfortunately, our client took the medications her treating doctor had prescribed and dispensed.
As a result of excessively high doses of the antibiotic, our client developed ototoxicity and permanent hearing loss in both ears.
Ototoxicity and hearing loss are both well-known side effects of the incorrectly prescribed medication. The medication was never ordered or prescribed by the dotor. In addition, the dose of the medication was excessive.
If you or any of your family members have been prescribed the wrong medication and have suffered injuries as a result, please contact our office at 347-652-2773, we handle these cases every day and would be happy to talk with you.