Taxi Cab Accidents
Taxi Cab Accidents
New York car accident attorneys offering legal counsel to victims of taxi accidents in all NY boroughs and Long Island.
Millions of New Yorkers rely on taxi cabs as their primary means of transportation through the city’s bustling streets. In fact, more than 240 million people take taxis in NYC every year. With more than 49,000 cab drivers serving the five boroughs, taxis have been a significant part of New York’s transportation network and account for a quarter of all motor vehicle traffic.
Considering that cab drivers offer some 250 million rides to tourists and residents each year, it’s no surprise that such a large number are involved in motor vehicle accidents. According to a review conducted by Schaller Consulting, taxi accident NYC rates are one-third lower than those of other types of vehicles. While encouraging news, this same report revealed that New York taxi passengers are twice as likely as those in other motor vehicles to suffer more severe injuries.
The taxi accident NYC study showed that:
- 21 percent of taxi passengers who were injured in a collision were seriously injured or killed.
- By comparison, 9 percent of passengers injured in other types of vehicles involved in cab crashes were seriously injured or killed.
- Taxi passengers were more likely to be gravely injured if they were not using a restraint. Of injured taxi passengers, 24 percent of those not wearing a restraint were seriously harmed compared with 13 percent of those wearing seat belts.
- Of taxi passengers who were seriously injured, 68 percent experienced head or face injuries, compared with 35 percent of passengers in other vehicles.
- Manhattan reported the highest rate of taxicab accidents in the five boroughs, accounting for 27 percent of all collisions and 30 percent of all injuries.
Don’t Pay Unless You Win
Steps to take after a taxi accident NYC
Whether you were a passenger in the cab, an occupant in another car, or a pedestrian, there certain measures you should take following a taxi accident in New York:
- Write down the cab driver’s name, the taxi registration number and the contact information for the cab company.
- Get names, phone numbers and contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident and can indicate who was at fault.
- Document the scene of the accident with photos from your cell phone or camera.
- Insist that the police and paramedics be called to the scene of the taxi accident and do not leave the scene before speaking to the police
- Ask the officer on the scene for his or her name, badge number and police precinct
- Request a copy of the police report
- Get medical attention immediately, and be sure to tell your health care provider that you were involved in motor vehicle accident, as it may offer clues to other internal injuries.
- Set up a consultation with a New York car crash lawyers who can explain your rights regarding taxi cab accident liability in NYC. You may be entitled to damages, but without legal representation, you may find it challenging to prove your case.
Compensation for a taxi accident in New York City
If you were involved in a taxi accident in NYC and suffered injuries, you may be contemplating your rights to compensation. New York operates under “No-Fault” Insurance laws that provide damages for an injured party’s basic economic losses. Most taxis carry the minimum No-Fault coverage of $50,000 and all licensed cab drivers in New York City must have a minimum of $100,000–$300,000 in liability insurance coverage. While this coverage may help with additional expenses for injured passengers, the total limit is $300,000 – which must be shared by all taxi passengers who were involved in the accident. Unlicensed cabs, or gypsy taxis, do not have this extra insurance and only carry the minimum liability coverage of $25,000 – $50,000.
If you were the victim of a taxi accident in NYC – as a passenger, pedestrian, bicyclist or occupant in another motor vehicle – you may discover that insurance coverage is far from adequate to pay for your medical expenses. Damages such emotional trauma, loss of enjoyment of life, and pain and suffering are not covered by these insurance policies. If the taxi driver was at fault, a New York car accident lawyer can help victims file a personal injury lawsuit to demand additional compensation for their injuries and losses.
At The Sanders Law Firm, Success Is A Tradition
Founded in 1967, The Sanders Law Firm has flourished into one of New York’s most successful personal injury practices, with an accomplished team of attorneys, paralegals, health care consultants, and support staff. Our trial attorneys take new cases on a contingency basis, which means there is no cost to the client unless we secure monetary damages on your behalf.
Our personal injury law firm continues to make its industry-leading legal services even better, and hire attorneys and staff that enable us to serve a more diverse population.
At The Sanders Firm, there is never any charge to evaluate your case. We have helped thousands of injured clients throughout New York City, Long Island, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island, and we’re prepared to help you too. In just the last five years we have procured over $100 million dollars on behalf of our clients, thanks to our vast resources and experienced attorneys. Our personal injury law firm continues to make its industry-leading legal services even better, and hire attorneys and staff that enable us to serve a more diverse population.
To set up your free, no-obligation case review with a New York personal injury lawyer, please call (516) 591-3208 or contact us using our online form. Our friendly staff is standing by to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The Sanders Law Firm is a New York personal injury practice with offices in Long Island, Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn.